Tutorials for Learning Basic Animate CC Skills + Collaborative Project Techniques
This set of tutorials is geared toward helping students complete the second project for MAT-120, but it can still be used by others to learn specific skills using Animate CC (formerly calledFlash Professional). Below is an outline of what you will find in the tutorials. Some students might be able to skip some lessons based on their current knowledge of certain tools and concepts.
Video Tutorial Outline
Part 1 : Introduction to the Project [4:35min]
- Shows an example project of what you can produce for the assignment and lays out basic parameters of the assignment.
Part 2 : Gathering Assets and Photoshop Masking [33min]
- Explains which assets you’ll need to gather, where to place them, and how you can start to use Photoshop as a preliminary design tool for creating masked images. Students with strong Photoshop skills can scan through this to see if they need to watch the whole thing.
Part 3 : Setting Up the Animate Stage [11min]
- Setting up the Stage and an overall interface orientation.
Part 4 : Shapes, Drawing Objects, Graphic and Movie Clip Symbols [23min]
- This covers how to draw and manipulate shapes, convert shapes to drawing objects, what the differences are, and how to use the Properties panel.
- It also covers converting objects to graphic symbols and movie clip symbols, explaining what the difference is. It also shows how to create multiple instances, edit stage instances individually, edit the symbol to cascade to all child instances, and how to create symbols from other symbols.
- It covers Edit in Place Mode and Symbol Editing Mode.
Part 5 : Buttons, Instances, ActionScript, and Button States [22min]
- You will learn about the third symbol type: buttons. You will see how to
- create buttons,
- change individual button timelines to create states,
- create an Actions layer,
- and target specific button instances with simple ActionScript code snippets.
Part 6 : Text and Font Issues
- All about text, including formatting, understanding web-safe fonts, embedding fonts, setting up rules, grids, guides, and gutters for text, and different types of text you can use in different document types.
- Also covers letter-spacing for text.
Part 7 : Importing Assets and Tracing Bitmaps [28min]
- See how you can import assets to the your Animate CC project.
- Learn how to mask objects natively in Animate CC.
- Learn how to create a vector graphic from an imported bitmap (raster graphic).
- Learn how to use Ink Bottle to add a stroke to a stroke-less object.
- Setting hanging indents and special margins on text
- Line-spacing for text