Grab Bag: Media Design Shorties
20% of Semester Grade
Quick Links on this Page:
This assignment will focus on students learning about some different media short formats and how to use the After Effects tool for basic motion graphics video marketing and communication work. Primary digital tools used will be Adobe After Effects, Photoshop (and/or Illustrator), and Premiere Pro.
This is just the overview! You must read this entire page to be sure you are doing everything necessary to succeed in this project.
Tools, Techniques, and Concepts Covered
As part of the overview section, you can see at a glance which tools, techniques, and concepts will be addressed in this assignment:
Tools and Techniques
- Blend Modes
- Design sample development
- Collaborative work
- Introduction to interactive interface design
- Simple programmatic scripting events
- Timelines, tweening, and easing
- Adobe After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere Pro
- Key framing / Tweening
- Intro to Intros, Outros, Bumpers, and other marketing video short forms
- Elements of Art: Line | Space | Shape | Value | Color
- Principles of Art: Harmony | Balance | Proportion | Dominance/Emphasis | Variety | Movement | Rhythm
But togive you a very general idea of where this project is going, here are a couple of examples of some demo formats.
Movie production company intro
Built with Premiere Pro and After Effects. All media is Creative Commons licensed.
Instagram social media campaign bumper
Extend Your Learning
Need help creating a logo to use in your video collateral but you haven’t had a class in Photoshop or Illustrator? You can get an idea below of how to quickly make a single-color logo with gradient in this quick 2-part Photoshop tutorial: